0 for 7....yeah, you heard right.

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Capt. Dom, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Well, today was one for the record books....

We managed 7 solid hookups today, all drag screamers, and each and everyone of them came unbuttoned. All but the jig bite I got were due to mainline failure, the jig just plain pulled out. The other 6 were complete mysteries. The guides were checked to be sure there were no nicks, and all of the breakoffs were in the water, most just above the leader.

We got on some good morning feeds, and hooked up on every one of them. I had the boat upwind and right on top of these fish each and every time they came up, my anglers were spot on with their casts, perfect hook sets, drag screaming runs, and then POP....:confused:

Dude and Kenny, it was still a great day out there with you guys, and we will get them next time. It was fun running 40 miles past the cape and back as well:eek:

So no blood on boat today (well, not entirely true, there was plenty of dogfish blood, and a bit of avian blood as well:rolleyes: ) but in terms of hookups, it doesnt get any better than 7 solid bites and several near misses on a somewhat slow weekend day.

Back at it tommorrow, somethings gonna die.......

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Hey sometimes it works like that. Murphy's law seems to work great on the water.

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Dom did you check the knots to the leaders? i know theyre great fisherman but sometimes we all make mistakes :(

4. dingoatemebaby

dingoatemebaby Senior Member

bummer dude, what kind of main line are you using? i've absolutely had it with Power Pro, that crap loses more fish than anything else, at least it was a nice flat morning today off of Chatham, but I was out striper fishing instead of the footballs

5. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Member

Six pops like that are not what immediately comes to mind. That's just odd if there wasn't any obvious reason? 40 miles one way? Wow!!

6. Dude-

Dude- Junior member

Thanks for the great trip Capt Dom.
    The break offs are insane. We've been fishing with the same set up for the past two seasons and never had a problem. In fact, I don't even remember when the last time I had a line break.... Guess the fishing gods decided to dump on me all at once so I have no issues for the rest of the season or maybe there were so much fish that it ran into our lines. You know, just like bluefish in a blitz. :)
    what ever it is, having seven screaming reels is exciting as hell. We'll get em next time.
    NEW Daiwa boat braid pe5 and 6 were used with 170 varavas leader.

7. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Sometimes the fish gods just dont want you spilling blood I guess. It was still a great trip with you two guys, I figure we are good to go for the next several trips with no issues, shook them all out on that last debacle....

Can't wait to get you guys on another feed, see you soon Dude!!

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Thanks for the great trip Capt Dom.
    The break offs are insane. We've been fishing with the same set up for the past two seasons and never had a problem. In fact, I don't even remember when the last time I had a line break.... Guess the fishing gods decided to dump on me all at once so I have no issues for the rest of the season or maybe there were so much fish that it ran into our lines. You know, just like bluefish in a blitz. :)
    what ever it is, having seven screaming reels is exciting as hell. We'll get em next time.
    NEW Daiwa boat braid pe5 and 6 were used with 170 varavas leader.

ah well like you said it happens.

plus - id rather get a run then a line pop then be stuck on land like i've been lately :mad:

9. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

Dom it happens to the best of us!!!
    I hope the season only gets better. I'm can't wait for the fall, I'm sure we'll be seeing you alot up there as well as Chip. Good luck on the next outing.

10. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

I hear that I'm glad I'm not the only one :) 0 for 6 Last Thursday - got each of em to the boat several times just feet from the gaff long story short they all found any weak spot (broken hooks, leaders, split rings)

Reeling in fish for 7 hrs not much to show but lessons learned - sore arms, back, pride.